Friday, October 17, 2008

Simple Pleasures

Being on a wall has a way of changing one's perspective. That's a prime reason of the appeal to me. Without the satisfaction and new way of seeing the world, it would just be work. You literally work the ENTIRE time you're up there. Even sleeping is work. You're squished side by side on a platform barely big enough and every move gains you but an inch. Just taking a leak is a major event.

If I was to say I was totally confident the whole time, I'd be a liar. I had doubts at every turn. It's true what they say that perseverance is the best trait for a wall climber to have. You some how muddle on and find yourself one step closer.

Ironically, the low point occured for me just hours before the high. I was huddled at the belay against the cold and wind, sore, tired, unable to choke down any food. I had decided that this would be my last wall. Too much work. Too much suffering. Too long away from my family.

I left the belay feeling lousy, but the wind soon died, I got warm, and the next pitch was the penultimate one for me: The Nipple.

The Nipple is THE defining pitch of the route. You can distinctly see this obviously shaped feature from the Valley floor right at the top of the Gray Circle. The rock was immaculate and the climbing exquisite. From that point on, there was no more doubts. By the time we hit the top, I was already talking about the next route. Funny how these things work.

Here's a short list of things I found delightful less than 24 hours after the climb:
  • Not worrying about leaving food in the car.
  • Not pooping in a bag.
  • Being able to roll over in your sleep.
  • Walking.
  • Doing nothing.
  • Washing.

That evening, I took my first bubble bath ever in our Carlyn home. We've been here over 3 years. It felt wonderful!


No comments: