Friday, October 17, 2008

Descent

I'm posting this from home, but continuing the story from Wed, 10/15.
--

Nate is up, but I lay curled in my bag refusing to get up before the sun. 5 minutes later the sun is up and so am I. We are both thrashed. Hands are probably the worst. Fingers swollen like sausages. Unable to make a fist. Raw shiny tips. Cuts and blisters. Torn cuticles. It hurts just to open a ziplock bag. I tape my tips before doing anything with the gear.

We take our time packing and look dubiously at each other as we test the loads. This video of Nate sums it up with his comment at the very end:




Past 11:00, it is hot by the time we are moving. We opt for the right side raps, which don't require death defying slab moves with haul bags on and hit the ground around 2:00. It is another 45 minutes before we are down the gully and back to the cars. The worst part for me is the flat trail from the bottom of the gully (near Manure Pile) to the parking area closer to El Cap. My glutes have never burned so bad.



Above: The ridiculousness of it all.



Above: Yeah, I'm soooooo happy to finally be rapping (on this crappy fixed line that has been here all year!)



Above: It holds!

Above: Ten pounds lighter, but see, it WAS fun!

No comments: